About Sequal Consulting
Sequal Consulting is a full-service strategic communications firm based in Pittsburgh, PA. We combine our years of campaign experience with an unwavering commitment to social and economic justice. We help our clients raise their visibility, sharpen their message, share their stories with new audiences, and advance their vision for a more just society. We serve a large segment of Pennsylvania’s progressive non-profit community, including several labor unions, as well as statewide and national community and environmental organizations.
Sequal Consulting is committed to building a more diverse social justice movement. Women, people of color, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Sequal Consulting is looking for a full-time Communications Associate. At Sequal, every client is unique and every day is different. Associate responsibilities range from helping execute communications strategy; researching media, political, and policy opportunities; generating and managing digital and traditional communications, and participating in the design and production of creative collateral.
The person in this position will work with our clients to ensure that they are effectively employing communications strategies to organize their members and activists and help meet campaign goals.
We view strategic communications broadly and therefore this position requires someone who is passionate about social and economic justice, has a versatile skill set, and a willingness to try new tools and techniques to tell the story of a campaign. A background in communications, media relations/journalism, organizing, and/or activism is strongly preferred.
About Sequal Consulting
Sequal Consulting is a full-service strategic communications firm based in Pittsburgh, PA. We combine our years of campaign experience with an unwavering commitment to social and economic justice. We help our clients raise their visibility, sharpen their message, share their stories with new audiences, and advance their vision for a more just society. We serve a large segment of Pennsylvania’s progressive non-profit community, as well as statewide and national community and environmental organizations.
What you’ll do at Sequal
- Work with clients and Sequal principals to execute communications strategies and campaign plans.
- Craft core messaging and ensure message consistency across communications channels.
- Write and edit communications materials including fact sheets and backgrounders, brochures, and leaflets.
- Work with both in-house staff and contracted vendors (graphic designers, videographers, printers, etc.) to create visually compelling collateral.
- Monitor media, summarize coverage for clients, and identify opportunities that align with client goals.
- Produce concise and effective press materials including releases, advisories, op-eds, and letters to the editor.
- Pitch stories to reporters, editors, online outlets, and other newsmakers.
- Create and curate social media content and manage client social channels.
- Update client websites, and help administer mass email / online activist toolsets.
What we need to see in you:
- 1-2 -3 years’ experience working for an issue-oriented non-profit, labor union, elected official, or political campaign, a communications firm serving those kinds of organizations, or a media outlet.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, or a related field. Work experience will be considered in lieu of formal education.
- Commitment to understanding race, class, gender, and other equity issues as part of our work.
- Deep understanding of messaging across audiences with an ability to match content and tone accordingly.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- A detail-oriented personality and the ability to juggle multiple projects and clients simultaneously.
- Ability to receive and integrate performance-based feedback into ongoing work plans as well as the ability to provide relevant and timely feedback to peers in a constructive manner.
- An understanding that clients often expect immediate responsiveness, regardless of whether or not you’re “on the clock.”
- Starting salary range for this position is $40-$45,000/year.Compensation is commensurate with experience.
- Sequal offers health and dental insurance, an IRA with a company match, and a flexible vacation policy.
What to send:
- Cover letter and résumé
- Writing sample
- Send materials to email@example.com